Department of Psychology
62 Arch Street
K7L 3N6 CANADA
- University of Canterbury, N.Z., 1957-61; B.A. 1961; M.A. (hons.), 1964
- Dalhousie University, Canada, 1964-67; Ph.D., 1967
- University of California, Berkeley, 1968-69; P.D.F.
- Honorary LLD from Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec.
- Professor of Biological Sciences, (Concurrent), Zhejiang University, P.R. China.
- Fellow, Programme in Human Development, Canadian Institute for Advanced Research.
- Honorary Research Professor, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing.
Fellowships and Awards
- Hebb Award, Canadian Society for Brain, Behaviour, and Cognitive Science (BBCS), January 2003
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (Canada) Award of Excellence 2002, for sustained excellence in research, November 2002.
- Alexander von Humboldt Forschungspreis, Von Humboldt Stiftung, Germany, 1996
- Erskine Fellow, Psychology Department, University of Canterbury, New Zealand, 1996
- Fellow, Canadian Institute for Advanced Research, 1995
- Max Bell Fellow, 1995
- Fellow, Royal Society of Canada
- Fellow, Canadian Psychological Association
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Queen's Alumni Prize for Excellence in Teaching, 1993
- Queen's University Prize for Excellence in Research, 1993
1993 Prize for Excellence in Teaching & Research
Click here to view Dr. Frost's publication list.
Current Research Projects
- Neural processing of dynamic auditory and visual stimuli.
- Visual control of posture and locomotion.
- The development of helmet mounted displays for "Virtual Realities" and telerobotic applications.
- Multisensory integration in the nervous system.
- Use of Virtual Realities for psychophysical determination of motion parallax sensitivity in Owls.
- Neuroethology of avian courtship behaviour.
- Neural basis for magnetic orientation in birds.
- Navigational abilities of the Sooty Shearwater (Puffinus spigeus).
- Navigation in the Monarch Butterfly.
Visit my laboratory web page at http://psyc.queensu.ca/~frostlab and see details of my research areas.
This work is supported by an operating grant from the Natural
Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada and Centres
of Excellence Research Grant from the Institute
of Robotics and Intelligence Systems.
- Dr. Max Cynader, U.B.C., "Helmet mounted displays for virtual reality and telerobotic applications".
- Dr. Hermann Wagner, Institut für Biologie und Tierphysiologie RWTH Aachen, "Stereopsis, motion parallax and kinematogram discrimination in Barn Owls."
- Dr. Wang, Shurong, Director Institute of Biophysics, Academia Sinica, Beijing, "The neuropharmacological action of the n. isthmi on the optic tectum and its relation to shifting visual attention".
- Dr. Wang, Yong-Tian, Department of Applied Optics, Beijing Institute of Technology, Beijing, "Design of a lightweight optical system for Helmet-Mounted Displays for Virtual Realities".
- Dr. Max Cynader, U.B.C., "Devising better interfaces for telelearning applications".
visitors since June 24, 1999.
Updated December, 2004